Are you downsizing to a smaller home or just downsizing to live a simpler life? Check out these tips to help you get started!
Tips for Downsizing to a Smaller Home
1. Start out with a goal and timeframe. Where do you want to go? What do you want your space to look like? How long do you have?
2. Prioritize what is important to you NOW. Don’t live in the past or distant future. How do you need to live now or in the near future?
3. Be realistic and honest with yourself. Will you really entertain more? Will you really start that project that has been sitting there for 10 years? Will you really wear it again? How much space do I have to work with?
4. Throw out old newspapers, paperwork unrelated to your current or future life, receipts not related to taxes, clothes that you no longer wear or fit, anything broken that you haven’t fixed in years. This is a big one – get rid of or donate gifts or heirlooms that you were given but don’t like. (Really, it’s ok. If that person really loves you, they wouldn’t want you to be burdened with it!)
5. Keep things that have special meaning to you, that you love. Things that you currently use or will use within the next six months.
6. Making the hard decision to keep or throw out. Do you NEED it? Do you LOVE it? What is the worst thing that would happen if you didn’t have it?
Downsizing doesn’t have to be a hassle or a bad experience. A smaller house means less space, but it also means less time, stress and money spent! If you’re looking to downsize to a smaller home, contact Sharon at (518) 791-5560 to help you reduce clutter, organize storage space, and help you get settled into your new home hassle free!